What is the Australian National Young Carers Action Team?
The Australian National Young Carers Action Team (ANYCAT) was established in May 2005, to support young carers with an interest in advocating and raising awareness of young carer issues in Australia.There is one ANYCAT member representative from each state and territory in Australia.
The ANYCAT program is designed to provide ANYCAT members with skills to enable them to:
- Raise awareness and understanding in their community and within government about what it means to be a young carer and the issues that young carers face.
- Confidently discuss and raise awareness of what it is like to be a young carer while participating at a media opportunity
- Inform Carers Australia with expert information on what it’s like to be a young carer.
Benefits to ANYCAT members
As an ANYCAT member, you will:
- Receive media training to enable you to communicate and advocate on behalf of the young carers in your state/territory.
- Receive training in leadership and advocacy, which will enhance your public speaking skills.
- Contribute to policy discussions around issues that affect young carers.
- Get to meet other young carers in a peer group setting.
- Get the opportunity to meet politicians and government representatives, attend events relating to young carers and help other people understand what it means to be a young carer
- Attend the annual ANYCAT Forum, which may be held interstate.