The Young Carer Bursary Programme is now open!
The Young Carer Bursary Programme provides financial assistance to help support young carers to complete or return to education while continuing their caring role. The Programme aims to reduce financial pressures for young carers through the granting of a bursary, targeting young carers most in need.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible to apply for a young carer bursary if you:
- are a young carer aged 12 to 25 years (you have to be 25 for the whole bursary year, so must have been born in 1991 or later to be eligible for the bursaries in 2016)
- are at least at secondary school, or starting in 2016
- are training or studying an approved course whether full-time or part-time in 2016
- are not in receipt of another bursary or scholarship
- are not already qualified with a Degree or Advanced Diploma; and
- are an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident.
What will it provide?
The Australian Government has committed $1 million each year for bursaries in 2016 and 2017. The Young Carer Bursary Programme will grant 333 bursaries at $3,000 each in 2016 and 2017. Setting the bursaries at the new level of $3,000 maximises the number of bursaries available while providing an effective level of financial support. Bursaries will be granted for 12 months with a new application process each year.
How will it be implemented?
Applications for 2016 bursaries will be open for 6 weeks opening on Tuesday 18 August and closing on Monday 28 September 2015. An on-line application form will be available from 18 August 2015 from the Young Carer Bursary website. An Independent Selection Panel will make the final decisions.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 1800 756 238