It's 3am and your GP is closed - after hours GP helpline is open!
If you or someone you care for has an urgent health concern at night or over the weekend and you are not sure what to do, there is an after hours GP helpline that can give you the reassurance and practical medical advice you need.
Available through healthdirect Australia, the after hours GP helpline is open when your GP may not be - at nights, on weekends and on public holidays - 365 days a year.
How will the helpline help me?
The nurse or GP may:
- Give you information and advice so you can treat the condition at home.
- Give you information and advice to help you until you can see your regular GP. If so, with
your permission, a record of your telephone consultation can be sent to your GP.
- Give you information about after hours services available in your local area.
- Assess whether you need to go to the emergency department at your local hospital.
If your call is an emergency - call ‘000'. If you call the helpline and it is an emergency, your call will be immediately transferred to ‘000' with the nurse or GP staying on the line.
How do I use the helpline?
Call the after hours GP helpline on 1800 022 222.
Your call will be answered by a registered nurse who will assess your condition, and provide you with health information and assistance. If necessary, the nurse will transfer you to a GP on the telephone.
The GP will talk with you, assess your condition, make a diagnosis and provide further medical advice.
- 6pm to 8am Monday to Friday
- 6pm Friday to 8am Saturday
- 12noon Saturday to 8am Monday
- public holidays
Calls from landlines are free. Mobile charges may apply.
For more information visit http://www.yourhealth.gov.au/gphelpline
A joint initiative of the Australian Government and state and territory Governments. All information in this publication is correct as at 1 May 2012.